VW Bilbo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modifications

2 posters

Go down

Modifications Empty Modifications

Post  mojo Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:59 am

Like most camper van owners, I've made a few minor changes here and there, so I thought it might be worth listing a few of them in case someone is interested:

Replaced Smev "warming oven" with small microwave oven - hidden from view - unlike the factory option, no drawer space lost
Replaced all fluorescent lights with LEDs, keeping original appearance
Replaced halogen bulbs in Osram Copilots with LEDs
Satnav cradle and hidden power supply in upper dash tray - powered only when ignition on
Replaced DRLs with LEDs (because the conventional bulbs regularly fail!)
Installed detachable towbar with 13-pin electrics

Planned but yet to be done:

Adding a digital heating controller to the Webasto diesel heater, to give time of day switching and more accurate temperature control
Adding detachable bike rack (can't decide which one to get)
Lining the inside of passenger seat base to provide muddy boot storage
Storage and mounting for flatscreen TV

I probably won't get around to the latter, as I quite enjoy getting away from all TV while I'm away.

Anyone else with mods (done or planned) to declare?

mojo

Back to top Go down

Modifications Empty Re: Modifications

Post  Cello297 Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:48 am

I am planning to make a water filler spout to carry water away from the interior when I fill/overfill the tank. anyone with a design, please stand forward!

Most of the other changes are in the area of storage: there is a challenge going here to make everything fit like a glove, avoiding rattles and making space for the little niceties of life.

We have Raskelf Duvalays to make the (rather hard) beds comfortable. They are a little too wide for the beds and on the large side for carrying, but the advantage is a hell of a good night's sleep.

A blower heater is a must for when on site, as it seems nuts to run the heater on diesel all the time.

Further ideas would be welcomed. Shane
sunny 

Cello297

Back to top Go down

Post  mojo Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:28 pm

The water filler is a bit of a pain, but I've sort of solved it in a way that suits me, using a 15L expanding water carrier with a short length of hose attached - long enough to curve into the water inlet without water flowing back out. However, I don't use much water - I guess most people would prefer to use a hose.

Storage is always going to be an issue in a compact conversion - I've taken to making panels for places like the underside of the bed frame, to add cubby holes where I can put things. I'm still thinking about taking off the internal sliding door trim panel and making storage pockets that are let into it, as I'm sure there is space inside. But I'm not sure how annoying it will be not to be able to access them while the door is open!

I've heard good things about the Duvalays, but sadly I don't have enough space...

On the heating front I tried a fan heater for a while a few years ago, but found it too noisy. In my A-S high-top I used a 500W Dimplex greenhouse heater, which produced enough heat for most conditions and was near-silent (and so could be left on low overnight if it's really cold). I suspect it would be fine in a Lezan, but not in a Celex - heat loss through the fabric and out of the top full-length vent is too great, so I've gone up to a 750W convector instead, which is still only just adequate.

Still plenty of mods yet to be done, though...

mojo

Back to top Go down

Post  Cello297 Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:25 am

Job done... and it seems to work!!
1. Take a plastic bottle with a screw top that fits the filler aperture,

2. Cut it to shape, making a sort of reverse funnel,

3. Screw it into the opening and

4. Get your wife to hold the hose while you fill the tank. If on good terms with said wife or she lacks sense of humour, suggest that she doesn't stand in direct line with the filler.

It works!! No-one got wet and the overspill did not run inside the 'van.
If you anticipate doing this in a windy spot, I suggest a somewhat deeper bottle than mine. Otherwise perfect.

If anyone else has fixes/ideas, please post them here. they could be helpful to us all. Shane sunny

Cello297

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum